The words self-care have become something of a swear word these days. The whole idea of looking after ourselves became a marketing tactic and now most of us roll our eyes and scroll on by before we’ve had chance to even finished reading the cursed phrase.
But that sucks. Because we should be looking after ourselves, we should be taking a few minutes when possible to indulge only us and do the things that make us feel good. Self-care might be more associated with £150 massages and body oils that cost a month’s rent but don’t magically fix us, but I think we should take it back.
So here’s 25 tiny acts of self-care that help me.
They don’t fix me, and they won’t fix you, but they might make the day a little bit lighter, and that’s important. Not everything will work for everybody, not everything is accessible for everybody, but hopefully in there is something that might remind you of the little things that make your day a little brighter?
- Step outside and take a deep breath of cold air, so deep it hurts your lungs a little.
- Eat 3 biscuits.
- Put some citrus oil in a diffuser. I like orange best. My friend Dee bought me one and a selection of citrus oils and they really do lift the grey a little.
- Cook and eat a massive bowl of something healthy and filling.
- Order and eat a massive plate of something unhealthy and filling.
- Have a cup of tea and put on your favourite Elton John track.
- Read a chapter of your book in the quietest room in the house.
- Go and buy some ‘for whenever’ cards and send a couple to spread some smiles.
- Light a scented candle and turn all electric lights off.
- Have a pint of cold water.
- Browse through your cook books and plan a special dinner for when things are easier.
- Go for a run. Don’t worry about distance or speed or if you look like Pheobe. Just run until you don’t want to run anymore.
- Look through old photos with good friends.
- Watch an episode (or 5) of Schitt’s Creek.
- Dance around your kitchen to your favourite musical soundtrack.
- Clean your bathroom.
- Play a few levels of whatever shit phone game you’ve downloaded for distraction recently. Mine is currently Merge Dragons. Mind-numbing, in the best way.
- Listen to an episode of Joan and Jericha.
- Write a poem.
- Water your plants.
- Do 50 squats.
- Have a glass of wine and keep up with the Kardashians.
- Have a hardcore chin plucking session.
- Buy a chocolate bar that reminds you of your childhood (if that is a good memory).
- Sit down and write a list of the simple, easy, everyday things that make you feel a little bit lighter…